Value Stream Mapping:
Hands-on training for the small and mid-sized manufacturer
Workforce Development Center
4220 Kochs Lane
APRIL 21 & 28
8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Value Stream Mapping (VSM) enables a company to identify waste in manufacturing and administrative processes using objective data. Cross-functional teams develop a plan to reduce or eliminate waste by streamlining work processes and cutting lead times. VSM often results in reduced costs, improved communication and increased quality. During this training, IMECexperts will use case studies and process examples that participants identify in their own organizations to guide you through concept training, application, and value stream improvement implementation.
Through Value Stream Mapping, a team of employees can map all steps in the current state from internal or external customer hand-offs back to raw material. Value-added and non-value-added activities and information flows in both manufacturing and administrative process will be assessed with the goal to develop a future state vision that acts as a blueprint for on-going Continuous Improvement activities. The Future State often represents a significant change compared to the way the company currently operates. The participants in the VSM training will develop an implementation strategy to make the Future State a reality. The most urgent needs will be addressed first, and can typically be accomplished in a very short time frame with the appropriate resources applied.
The workshop illustrates the basic skills involved in Value Stream Mapping. This group training exercise is designed to introduce participants to the concepts and outcomes of VSM development.
DEVELOPING A VALUE STREAM MAP
Following the workshop, IMEC is available to facilitate a cross-functional group of your employees through the Value Stream Mapping process, implementing the techniques learned on a selected company value stream
Day One (April 21)
- Describe the characteristics, benefits and importance of Value Stream Mapping
- How to make roadblocks in a process visible and measurable
- Linking the 7 Wastes to clear cost savings
- Visualizing an entire process and quickly identifying improvement projects
- Appreciate the importance of a Value Stream Manager
- Understand the benefit of Project Charters and how to implement
Day Two (April 28)
- Create a Current State Map
- Define and review basic Lean principles
- Develop the skills necessary to create a Future State Map
- Develop an effective implementation plan using the Project Charter
Fees: $375 per person* (register 2 or more for $325 pp)
Fees include lunch and all training materials.
Register your company seat(s) at www.imec.org/events.cfm, or call IMEC at 888.806.4632.
Contact Rob Newbold, IMEC Regional Manager, at 217-572-1551 or firstname.lastname@example.org.